Friday, November 30, 2007

Rabbit anatomy and Lapin a la Moutarde

My notes for tomorrow's cooking session start with: 1) cut head off at the base of the shoulders. As I reviewed my notes for my first rabbit dish, I consider my anatomy courses--we never covered rabbit physiology--but this step is quite clear since I can identify the head. The rest of the rabbit body annihilation involves cleaving off rib cages, loins and making sure to preserve kidneys and livers for a rosemary skewer saute garnish. Everyday eat'n back home in Arizona. Our lapin a la moutarde (mustard) dish tasted a bit like...you know chicken...from the piece I tasted which prompted me to review the nutrition content of this popular French meat.

A moderate serving of chicken breast meat (4 ounces or 113 g) has 124 calories vs 154 for rabbit. The chicken has 26 of protein--3 more than the rabbit. Your basic domestic raised rabbit though has 4.9 grams of fat versus 3.5 for chicken breast. However, in terms of saturated fats there is not much difference with chicken breast at 27% and rabbit at 30%. Dark chicken meat is actually closer physiologically to rabbit meat since rabbits tend to be lean and have alot of "fast twitch" dark meat. 113 grams of dark chicken meat has 141 calories, 23 grams of protein and 24% saturated fat.

After I practice my cleaving techniques tomorrow and cook my first whole rabbit, I'll report on how it's done, recipes and more on the culture of eating "pet" food.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michele,
    Tell my how it went with the rabbit. This is mostly for the cats since they are tired of the IAMS canned food and are looking for a little variety

    ReplyDelete