Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Cooking Intensively and a dishwashing nightmare

So much for keeping up with this blog thing. First, the allure of visiting Paris again was a distraction. Second, massive strikes that make every thing take twice as long shortened each day. Lastly, cooking school--12 hours the first day and 11 the second with a continued level of intensity through the week. I now get what the intensive Cordon Bleu program means.

A quick note before I conk out...in the 23 hours at the school, I explored veal stock, chicken stock, fish stock, cheese fondue, supreme sauces, bechemel sauces, vegetable potage, common thickeners, trussing chickens and fish fillet techniques (I'm pretty good at removing eyes fast--would someone invite me fishing so I can use this skill again?). But mostly what I've done is dirty an amazing number of dishes. For tomorrow's dish, I counted 18 different dishes/pots that will be used (plus a blow torch to remove pin feathers from the chicken I will have). This dish consists of rice, whole chicken and a supreme sauce and 30 minutes of a dishwasher's time per student. I will only make this dish again if I can have a paid dishwasher in my home.

1 comment:

  1. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ....I'm truly enjoying your commentary! The blow torch on pin feathers...what a visual! Love it.

    ReplyDelete