Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Special for the Day: "Roast Pigeon"

When was the last time you ate pigeon? Or cursed at one? Although cursing is more common, let me introduce you to tomorrow’s meal of pan-seared pigeon.

Tomorrow is my Atelier cooking test and pigeon is a main required ingredient. This ingredient does show up menus in French restaurants, yet when I go to buy one, I can’t find any at stores in my arrondissement (the 15th). However, I do find 8 different types of chicken, 2 types of quail, cocquerel (small male roosters) and pintade (guinea fowl).

Because pigeons hang out near my balcony herb garden, my husband suggested I open my balcony door and eventually a pigeon or two would fly in and “Voila” dinner. But instead I head to the charming Beauvau covered market near Place d’Aligre since I need pigeons raised for consumption. I find the bird and with friend’s help, we convince the butcher that “yes, I really want the entire bird”. The butcher really wanted to remove the guts and head for me and commented that it was more hygienic that way. I’m not sure what he thought I would do with the guts and head at home that would be unhygienic, but here’s a picture before I cleaned it.

In English-speaking countries, pigeon is found as Squab. Generally squab or pigeon are young (about 4 weeks) and have more of a red meat taste and texture. The breast meat is cooked like quail to be pink or rose looking and the rest of the meat is only enough for a quick nibble.

I’ll post a follow-up blog showing pictures of squab prep in the kitchen. Please let me know if you have fabulous ideas for stuffing such a tiny bird; I’ve been required to stuff the mini-legs before and cursed at more than just the pigeon.

Link to info on Beauveau market and other markets in paris: http://www.v1.paris.fr/EN/Living/markets/markets.ASP

Photo by MHenriot photographer

5 comments:

  1. The pigeon looks smaller than a Cornish Hen. Is there enough meat for more than one person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pigeons I've worked with were smaller than the very well-fed (quantity not quality of feed) American cornish hens.

    My last pigeon breasts weighed 45 grams each, so 90 grams is just over 3 ounces. This is a modest serving for most people of 130 calories, just add 4 side dishes like I did and you've got a full meal (okay, plus a glass of red wine).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what the attraction would be to eating pigeon. It seems like a lot of work for only a small bit of meat. I've seen it a few times on menus in Europe but never tried it. Maybe next trip...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pigeon is great although I can't say that eating them off the street is the best way to go (your husband's technique is certainly economical but has he seen what pigeons in Paris eat????) A few years back a guy I know from Ireland taught me how to make Pigeons in Beer. It was pigeons cooked in beer, mustard and mustard and brown sugar with a sauce of sour cream and pimientos. Apart from the novelty of eating pigeon it was tasted fantasic. I made it again several times and found that the darker the beer you used, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That reminds me of an Guiness Irish stew I've made before (sour cream and pimientos aside but a great touch for heat and acidic flavorings). I have the recipe, but I developed it for 150 servings!

    Pigeon legs and thighs have such a dark meat flavoring that your recipe sounds like a great match for it. I'll have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete