Sunday, April 12, 2009

Here’s me and Ferran Adrià after taping of a TV show on France Channel 3 show “ce soir ou jamais”. Looks like I’m dubbed in since he wasn’t sure which of my cooking buddies was taking the picture. Le Cordon Bleu Paris students in the Superior Cuisine program were invited to attend this show as part of the audience.

I was fortunate to be less than 10 feet from Chef Adrià and could see him intimately express his passion for food. The television taping can be found on http://ce-soir-ou-jamais.france3.fr/index-fr.php?page=emission&date=2009-04-07. My happy face (half of it) appears most often during the taping of the chef’s section (internet link expires in 2 weeks.)

Chef Adrià’s main restaurant, El Bulli, is only open 6 months each year with the 2009 season running June through December. Reservations for the entire 2009 schedule were taken in 2008 on October 14, 15 and 16th.

While the TV station served us champagne and sweet canapés, my only disappointment for the evening was that Chef Adrià was simply interviewed; I really could have gone for some of his frozen foie gras powder.

Brief Comments on Chef Adrià and his restaurant El Bulli:

· “he's been featured on Time magazine's list of the 100 most influential people of our times.” http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/fast-times-with-ferran-adria

· World’s best restaurant 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008 (Restaurant Magazine) (http://www.elbulli.com/menu.php?lang=en)

· Over 800,000 people call or email for a table each season. http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/futureoffood/story/0,,1969713,00.html#article_continue

4 comments:

  1. Hi Michele,
    I enjoyed reading your blog. It looks like you are having fun in Paris. I think my wife and I met Chef Adrian a number of years ago when we were in Paris. He looks familiar and we knew he was a chef but had no idea how exclusive his restaurant was.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend's boss says he ate at El Bulli back in 2004. He's not much for food though, he doesn't even remember what he had for dinner but rather that he and his wife sat across from Imelda Staunton (of Vera Drake and Harry Potter fame). I'm sure it was a fabulous meal but it was probably wasted on someone like him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouring words, and yes Paris is very enjoyable even though I'm not doing any tourist like activities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if a lot of people eat at El Bulli because of the exclusiveness to claiming "I ate at El Bulli" rather than savoring the unique food experience!

    ReplyDelete