Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Foreign Baguette Invades Paris

Bread was on my mind and in my luggage as I headed to Paris for my last semester at Le Cordon Bleu. I must be the only person ever to bring a baguette into Paris.

As my plane landed I wondered if airport officials would confiscate my baguette to protect the purity of French bread. After all, San Francisco sourdough yeast is showing up in French breads just like the invading English words peppering French TV and radio. But then I remembered that once again Parisians were on a grève (strike), so I just needed to worry if the airport was functioning.

The traveling bread was a French sourdough baguette hand-made by my husband who wanted to ensure I had good bread for my first few days in Paris. Finding a good baguette in Paris is random luck or local “know-how” for those with discerning palates.

I understand there was a time when consistent high-quality bread was more common in Paris. But with the proliferation of commercial and industrial bread making and distribution, bread offerings and standards have changed. I’ve experienced a regretful meltdown of my stereotype of gorgeous savory breads pouring from every shop in Paris.

Each time I’ve lived in Paris, I’ve worked hard to find consistent good bread; I’m not a bread snob, but I know bread making is an art and a science requiring quality ingredients. I’ve studied the science behind bread making and watched my husband labor for nearly two years to perfect different breads. And yes, hubby’s sourdough baguette is the best I’ve eaten, but I will keep eating more Paris bread to make sure and keep him on his baker’s toes.

Next post: how to spot a good baguette and boulangerie in Paris
Picture of husband Kerry's Sourdough baguettes and Pain de Compagne


4 comments:

  1. Wow! Your husband's bread sounds fabulous! Has he ever thought of selling the recepie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipes are free, but all free things have caveats. Can my husband share all the nuances given the art side of bread making! Will he really reveal all? He is starting a bread blog to post monthly bread recipes--that will be the test. I'll post the link soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is your husband French or at least from the French portion of Greater Cleveland? It may be in his blood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wait until the French equivalent of the TSA learns that people are smuggling bread INTO France! I can just see the sourdough sniffing dogs now. On second thought, maybe a DO NOT FLY list for bakers coming from sourdough producing contries.

    ReplyDelete